Saturday, November 22, 2008

What Does Jesus Christ Mean to you?

First of all, the answer to that question is meaningless in regards to who he actually is. Who did he say he was? He said, “I am.” He is self-existing and unchanging, he is from everlasting to everlasting. If his existence is not dependent upon the actions of others, his character is certainly not dependent upon my opinion, or anyone’s else’s. he is who he is, regardless of whether or not anyone likes it. Now, why should I serve Christ? The overwhelming answer to this question is a s follows: because he will save me from eternal damnation, bring me into eternal life in heaven, and provide for me in this life. Really? Is that it?! I should serve Christ because I loce myself?!! Let me present this fact, the church is the bride of Christ. Think about that for a while. If a groom was to ask his bride why she chose to be devoted to him, he would not expect a utilitarian response, that is to say, if her answer involved, “because I can get something from you,” the verity of the romance in this relationship, and the prospect of the bride’s faithfulness would undoubtedly be called into question.

So, why should I love Christ if it is not primarily for my own benefit? Could it be possible that he is simply worthy of my praise and service? What sort of love only exists to serve itself? 1 Corinthians 13 (the love chapter, I know) says that love is not self-seeking, and honestly, that seems fairly obvious to me. So what does it mean to truly love something? It means that I will love the object of my love for its own sake. It means that I believe Christ is worthy of my life simply because of who he is, that I delight in his character and his work. Let us rethink our relationship to Christ, and let us love him for the sake of who he is, not because of what he can do for us.

3 comments:

josh said...

1) i read the title and got mad.
2) the first line redeemed the title
3) i really liked the post
4) i really like you

Gabriel Allen said...

I just think you rule.

Aaron Tucker said...

word