Saturday, July 12, 2008

for by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

What a gift we have in knowing God! My God, who is holy, and just in all His actions, has chosen to make Himself known to my heart. This is gracious, this is romantic, this is the very personification of love. And yet, I choose to refuse the fullness of such a gift, to be satisfied with mere knowledge when I have the opportunity to experience intimate acquaintance. I don’t understand this. It’s as if I think that I can have either one or the other, that I could either know God, or know about God. This is so ludicrous. I know that the only true understanding I can have comes by way of the Holy Spirit’s revelation. I must submit my knowledge and opinion to Him for discernment and completion. May I seek God in a way that indicates that I believe that He is still alive.

Sometimes I read the Bible as if it is a eulogy, as if I am reading about a great historical figure who once was. God is real and he is here! I know Him!! He has revealed himself to me in ways that are altogether unnatural and unimaginable. Throughout history, people have worshipped stone images and engraving, but I worship a God who sits in His holy temple at this very moment. This is a God who has made a temple for His Spirit in my own body. He is alive and He is speaking to me right now. He is revealing Himself constantly, graciously revealing to me the secret wisdom that can only be known through acquaintance with His Spirit. I am weak, and I am unwilling, but He is so strong. He overcomes my distant and unwilling heart and turns it to praise. I have never been righteous, and I have never sought holiness, but holiness sought me and he has raised me up with Himself that I might become like Him! He has given me power that I might glorify the name which has saved me, and all this when I was satisfied in my sin. May he continue to pour out His grace. May He continue to save me from the reckless comfort that I have found in unrighteousness, that I might know Him better.

4 comments:

Cami said...

AMEN. God actually reminded me of this yesterday. It was a great feeling.

Rich said...

Amen to this my friend.

A Regular Worshipper said...

Markus... this is right on brother! I'm going to link you from my blog... http://lukemillerpsalms.blogspot.com.

TheBoyd said...

Question:
Do you think it is possible to serve God and not worship Him? Does your heart have to be set on praising and worshiping Him to also truly serve Him?